Monday, March 2, 2009

Gathering Data

The other day I was attending a strategic product development meeting at one of my clients and I decided to gather some data during the meeting. I decided that I was going to count the number of statements people made and how many questions went unanswered during the meeting. After the meeting I was asked for some feedback on how the meeting went and I decided to share the data instead of my conclusions. The result was amazing!
Instead of having a lot of people trying to defend themselves againt my conclusions I got a lot of thoughts and reasoning about what the data might mean and when I shared my conclusions I discovered that I didn't really have any but instead had a lot of theories about why the data might mean. All in all, it was a great experience for me in that it actually opened my eyes to the importance of actually observing and not jumoing to conclusions right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment